Sunday, March 8, 2009

Back in the USA

Hell did break loose for the first three days of March and I certainly did not regret my decision to make an early return to Gran Lucayan Waterway. We probably would have missed the deadline for the flight back to Miama for Ajut and Claudine.
Life in Gran Lucaya Waterway is not all that bad anyway when your hosts are Ezio and Stephanie. Not only did we have water and electricity for the boat (Internet up to the day when it rained heavily and soaked my wireless network adaptor), but they would also let us use their car (trusting us to drive on the wrong side of the road) which allowed us to sample what it is to shop in Gran Bahama island.
Every night we had dinner together, either aboard Neptune or on Papy Jovial. In both cases, Stephanie, Ajut and Claudine took the opportunity to showcase their culinary talents, to the benefits of all. The company included Peter, whose wife is currently away, and is one of the most talented fishermen in the Bahamas. Needless to say that there always was plentiful of delicious fish, conch, lobster and other seafood to enjoy.
March 4 came very quickly and I took Ajut and Claudine early in the morning for their flight to Miami. I have not heard from them since so I assume that they made it safely back to France.
Originally, I wanted to leave either on the 5th or the 6th, but the weather decided otherwise and I could only leave on the 7th around 10:00 in the morning.
The crossing to West Palm Beach was uneventful but unpleasant as I had to motor all the way. I had a light breeze in my back and residual swell across and Papy Jovial was rolling heavily all the way. I also realised that the alternator had stopped charging the batteries (again !). I tried changing the fuse that was the problem when we left Virginia, but this time no result. It is not a catastrophy as the solar panels are charging very well and I can top up with the generator if I need. But the sooner I fix this problem, the better for my peace of mind.
I arrived at the Lake Worth inlet around 11:00 p.m. and failed to find a suitable spot to drop the hook behind Peanut Island. I then went south in the waterway and anchored in Lake Worth on the East side of the Waterway a little more than 1 mile south of Riviera Beach marin around midnight.
I will spend Sunday at anchor and will go to the marina tomorrow to clear customs, take some fuel to continue up north and possibly find a mechanic to look at the alternator.

No comments: