Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Stand by

The last three days, we have had numerous showers, strong winds while a
front was passing through. We were ready to go but knowing that behind
the front the trade winds were coming back promising a very comfortable
crossing, I was not in a hurry to get wet.
The barbecue organized by Matt and Ulla ended up with pouring rain, but
we were almost done anyway. Next morning, not a very encouraging
weather, but anyway we were getting ready to go sometimes in the
afternoon. This is when we heard about the earthquake in the Samoas and
the risk of a Tsunami in Tahiti.
I then decided to wait for whatever the authorities would say. In the
end, although Tahiti went into red alert with administration and some
shops closing, the Tsunami turned out to be a 12 inches wave, obviously
with no damage at all.
So, at 4 p.m., we went to the fuel dock to fill up, I paid the marina
and we came back to our dock to spend a last quiet dinner and night and
go tomorrow morning at daybreak, direcly for Rarotonga.
I will remember the Taina marina as an excellent place. Florient and
Constance are very helpful, cordial, friendly and always ready to help.
Thanks to them, I was able to assist two boats having problems,
Chennaker and Triple Seven. As far as I am concerned, I only have
positive comments to make about this marina and I will recommend it to
anybody.

No comments: