Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The canal

I left Eastham Creek anchorage around 8 am, in a still bitterly cold weather and no sun. That anchorage is a very quiet and good one in terms of holding, but boy, how lonely can you feel ! Not a single soul around, no light, and not a single boat to be heard . . .
However, it was back into multiple layers, balaclava and gloves and rubber boots and, and ....
Crossing the Pamlico river was not a problem and I found myself soon in that dreadful Pungo River/Alligator River canal. Dreadful for me because of its monotony, the lunar landscape with remains of trees that were never given a chance to grow by the hurricanes, that bridge to nowhere, which again this time deserved that name as I did not see a single vehicle on it as long as it was in sight.
The Teresa Too ( an old morgan 41 out island that has been there for years) is still there. And the canal is still 26 miles long.
Then it was sailing up the Alligator River to the best bridge tender in the whole waterway, the Alligator River bridge. This time again, it opened one minute before I got through and I never had to slow down.
As soon as I passed the bridge, I made a sharp turn to the left and took refuge into the Alligator River marina, which is more a gas station with a dock than a marina, but anyway, it has electricity, which is all I care about as I need it to get warm. The maoeuver to get in cost me another hat, this time my wool hat, and I only have one spare. Time to get home to re-supply in warm accessories...

No comments: