Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Home alone (sequel . . . )

After a wonderful evening on Sunday, it was time for Gary to take his bag off the boat. In the meantime, I had the mechanic from Yanmar have a look at the engine and find out why I keep loosing coolant. It turned out to be a leak in the hoses going from the engine to the domestic water heater, but the leak was at the bottom and I had missed it. They replaced the hoses, pressure tested the whole system, and handed to me a hefty bill in exchange for my peace of mind.
We had a nice lunch at Tubbees, near the marina, then went for a walk in search of a convenience store where I could do some shopping. We found the convenience store, but there was nothing there that would interest me.
So we went back to the boat, waiting for Albert to pick us up to go to town and enjoy the competition between bands of Pipes and Drums. Despite the continuous rain, this was a very enjoyable event, with bands from New York, the Canada and of course Savannah.
After I recovered my mail which had been sent to Albert's address, I went back to the boat and got ready for a leisurely start on Tuesday morning. I did not have very far to go as I had decided to make a stop in Beaufort (SC) that I had not visited since the mid 90s.
One mile before I got there, high temperature alarm on the engine as I was passing thru the last fixed bridge before Beaufort.
Immediately, I thought that it was this damn coolant again. Before dropping the hook, I rushed to the engine room and found out that the belt had broken.
I myself broke my own record for changing a belt. I must have done it within 5 to 10 minutes. I then went on to the dowtown marina in Beaufort, determined to enjoy my visit.
After tidying up the boat and a good shower on the boat, I went to a restaurant called "breakwater" on West street, and had and excellent meal and good conversations with my neighbours at the bar. I went back to the boat around 10:00 p.m. and went to bed.
In Beaufort, there is a bascule bridge north of the marina which has the very civilised idea to be restricted from 7:00 a.m. (too early) to 9:00 a.m., which is a good excuse to have a late start.
This time, no problem at all with any of the equipment on the boat and I made good time before hitting the last bridge before Charleston harbour, which is restricted from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Again, this gave me a very good reason to call it a day and drop the hook behind a tiny little island just underneath that last bridge. And it is restricted until 9:00 a.m., so I won't have to rush tomorrow same as this morning.
Tomorrow I plan on staying in Georgetown and I will take time to post some of the photos still to come.

No comments: