Friday, May 29, 2009

Time out

I love when the anchor comes up clean and I don't have to wash it. This anchorage at New Smyrna Beach that I was using for the first time was pure sand and ideal holding.
Anyway, I woke up around 6:30 with the lights still on, the dishes still waiting to be washed and the shower still waiting to be had . . . . I was really tired. Actually thinking about it, I don't think I would do that again. It is OK to go first thru the ICW for a little while then go out and be able to sleep 20 minutes naps. But do the opposite, go out first and then do a whole day inside with only the ability to sleep in 2 minutes intervals did not work out well. Fortunately I did not run aground not did I take out markers, but it could have happened.
I got to the barge canal around 2:00 and presented myself at the bridge over route 3 at 2:40. I then learned (this was not on the ICW book not on the chartbook) that the bridge would only open every half hour, with a curfew from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. So I made the 3 o'clock one and went on to the best kept secret in the barge canal which is Harbortown marina, at 1 dollar a foot for Boat US members, and a very good price for fuel.
Gary was at the fuel dock waiting for me, after filling up I went tie up at the dock and relax as I knew I was going to stay here for three nights, with not very much to do in terms of work on the boat. For once, I have no schedule and I can just enjoy myself, which is not hard to do when your host is Gary.

No comments: