Tuesday, May 26, 2009

change of plans again

It has been a very long day, but I won't have much to say. Instead of a 60 miles run to the SteCatherine sound, I went for a 230 miles journey to New Smyrna Beach by way of Saint Augustine. The weather was too good to pass up which is why I change my plans yet again.
All I want now is an early dinner, a nice shower and a very early bed. I am truly exhausted, and I should not. I left Ediston Beach in SC at 6:00 and dropped the hook in New Smyrna Beach at 4:20 p.m. the next day. In between, the crossing from Ediston to Saint Augustine was wonderful. During the day, I had the main with one reef (not that the wind was that strong, but I do not trust too much my repair on the boom vang) and full genoa. As usual, the wind died in the evening and I had to hoist the Yanmar sail again.
While underway, I notice that there was water in the bilge, although I had retighten the stuffing box on the shaft. After inspection, I found that the packing on the rudder post tube was completely loose and let water in. So, I had to move the mattress out of the cabin to be able to retighten it. Physical but a no brainer. Fortunately, as I am not a very talented mechanic.
I got to Saint Augustine too early, 7:42 a.m. to be precise so I had to wait for the 8:30 opening of the bridge of Lions. They open every half hour, except for the 8:00 which they don't do.
After that, it was a routine transit on the ICW but I was quite sleepy, and I had to set up my timer at 2 minutes and sleep in bursts of 2 minutes to get rid of the sleepyness. It worked.
But now that the anchor is set, it's bye bye, I am done

No comments: