Sunday, May 26, 2013

Second leg

Our stay in Horta was both too short and too long. Too short because we would have liked more time to rest and to enjoy the island. Too long, because we know that we have to be in Rouen by June 6th. To do that, we need to cover towards the destination 132 miles per day, and I don't think that we will be able to do that. So we may arrive either on the 7th or the 8th.
At first, when we left, the wind was below 4 knots and we had to motor for a little more than 8 hours. Then we got some wind, and we have been sailing since, not always in the right direction. We covered 135 miles over the ground in 25 hours, but we closed in on the entrance of the river Seine by only 118 miles. We need to get more north in our course without addding too many miles, as we certainly don't want to end up in Coruna.
I worry that the marina in Rouen, not seeing us come in would not keep a space for us. We have to wait until we get a better idea on our ETA to do something about this.
Right now, the conditions are not bad. But again, it is close haul and we would love some broad reaching for a change.
Maybe once we are north of the Azores high with isobares in a NW/SE direction we could do some beam reaching.
We are still all of us tired, and we take it easy. Everyone on board is doing fine and we will do our best to be patient.

This e-mail was delivered via satellite phone using GMN's XGate software.
Please be kind and keep your replies short.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Barbara and I could go to Rouen upon arrival in France and secure the slip before driving South. What think???