A quick drive to Miami to pick up brother "Green Eggs" (Sam Johns) and we were back in St Augustine early on the 26th. Since I know I have to be somewhere where Sam can get back to Miami before the 29th, so that he can go on with his canoe trip with David, we left St Augustine at 4:15 p.m. on the 26th.
Cleared the bridge of Lions at 4:30 and were under sails outside by 5:30.
At first, ideal weather and we were able to sail almost all night with no engine, full main sail and full genoa.
Alas ! In the morning, the wind started to weaken and we had to hoist the iron sail.
As we approached cape Fear, the wind got a lot stronger and by the time we were inside, it was around 25 to 30 knots. Since I am still very much unfamiliar with the way the boat handles, I was kind of stressed at the prospect of going into the marina with such windy conditions.
Fortunately the marina let us dock at the fuel dock, wich is a very long dock running East-West and the wind was gently pushing us towards the dock as we got in.
We were tied up by 15:52, which made this 300 miles crossing quite a brisk one.
On Saturday morning, having had a car the day before from Enterprise, I filled up the tank and drove Sam to the Wilmington airport.
Now, it is going to be a solo trip and I have to wait for better weather conditions as I do not want to take any chances on this boat. I will probably go to Wrightsville Beach on Monday afternoon, jump outside and run overnight to Morehead city, and keep going into the ICW until I reach an anchorage around MM 100.