Sunday, March 22, 2009

Do you call that spring ?

This morning leaving Barefoot landing, the temperature was 42 and the damn NE wind was still there to greet me. I put on long john, sweat pants, regular pants, foul weather pants, 2 pairs of socks, long sleeve jersey 100 % wool, my sweater from Guernsey, jacket, foul weather jacket, balaclava and wool hat, not forgetting gloves. This was not fun !
I missed the Sunset Beach ponton bridge opening by less than 15 minutes and had to waster 45 minutes at very slow speed since that bridge only opens on the hour. After that, it was only a matter of trying to stay out of the freezing wind. Got to Wrightsville beach at 5:30 p.m. and tied up at the expensive Dockside restaurant and marina (2 dollar a foot).
However, a gentleman who had helped me tie up started a conversation with me and eventually took me to his house for dinner prepared by his wife Barbara. Thom Zalewski is of polish descent while his wife has a french mother and a german father. This made for very interesting conversation and a very pleasant evening.
It looks like the weather is running out of NE wind for a little while on Monday. So, I will give myself a day off on Sunday and try and reach Morehead City on the outside on Monday night.
I am not very enthusiastic about going at anchor with these temperatures in the high 30s, low 40s during the night. I do not dare start the generator since it sprayed itself with sea water when we anchored north of Brunswick, GA and it can get pretty cold inside the boat. But on Sunday, we should see the temperature reach 62 and they say that in won't go below 42 during the night. So I will try and save the cost of the marina and go at anchor Sunday night.

No comments: