Monday, January 24, 2011

The loop is under my belt

Last night, I crossed my outbound wake at 18:03 when I passed the
Nuevita Rocks, which I had passed going out at 17:00 on May 16, 2009.
The whole trip took 34,172 nautical miles over the ground (for those not
familiar with maritime measure, you get the statute miles by adding 15
%).Surprisingly, I only had to cover 30,233 n.m. through the water, This
is because at the latitudes where I travelled, there is most of the time
around 0.5 knots of favorable current.
I took 618 days and 1 hour to complete this trip around the world. It
includes stops along the way,of course, some significant, like one month
in Tahiti, three month in New Zealand, almost four months in Australia,
one month in South Africa and same one month in Martinique.
My voyage is not over yet. I will spend a little time in Florida and in
the Bahamas before sailing back to my home port Norfolk where I will
arrive on May 1st.
Right now, we are sailing like a bullet up the Exuma bank, most of the
time at maximum speed for my boat of 7,7 knots. I will come out south
west of Providence Island, go up to North West channel, sail around the
Berry Island by the south west and aim for Port Lucaya where I will
clear in the Bahamas.

1 comment: